Shipping in 1-3 business days

On Monday July 26th we began the Great Shed Raising.  Bobby and Silvia were in from Texas and were kind enough to devote a portion of their vacation to our endeavor.  I documented most of the experience and Wayne will follow up on Willow Hermitage with details of our lessons learned.

We purchased a kit from Lowe's as a hope of making it easier on everyone.  The reviews were positive, but most people said it took them at least two days to complete.  Naturally, we scoffed at the thought.  There would be four of us and at least two (that would be Bobby and Sylvia) are competent at carpentry, etc.  We'd be able to put it together in a day.  We'd show them. As Wayne would say, the best laid plans....

Part I

Here is our before picture:

And one with the addition of the footings.

Unpacking all the mess we brought with us:

Opening the pallet and reading the instructions.  Turns out the reading the instructions part happened a lot.  Like every few minutes or so...

Contemplating the instructions.

Who's this random man climbing through the woods?  Just Charlie checking out the lay of the land.

Trying to get everything level.

And the painting divas got to work.  It was our job to stay a head of them.  The sun was bright enough (for the morning at least) that we were able to paint and have everything dry before the guys needed the pieces.  We missed one or two (no one's perfect), but overall managed it well.

Building the floor.  This was shortly after realizing that the framing gun we brought wasn't working.  The project probably would have been done in 1/2 the time if we'd had the assistance of the gun.  Instead the guys were stuck doing everything the old fashioned way.

Reviewing the instructions:

And we're level!  Time for a break.

Putting up the first wall.

And nailing some temporary supports in place.

Wall number two!  (It looks so easy when you put it like this...the truth was this was probably half way through the day).

Wall number 3.

I got slightly distracted when we were visited by some neighbors.  The gentleman who lives to our right introduced himself.  He's a landscaper and very friendly.

Here's the next neighbor who showed up to say hello.  He just made himself at home no questions asked.  I wish I had got a picture of him beside a person.  It's the first time I think I've seen a Great Pyrenees in person and they certainty live up to their name.  The dog is just plain HUGE.  I'm pretty sure he is the cattle dog from a couple miles up the road.

And this is his buddy who came with him but wasn't quite so eager to be introduced.  This is the closest I managed to get to him.  He was a bit skittish.  The two of them took off together when a truck pulled up the road a short while later.

This is me helping.  My job was to stand on the framing and make sure it didn't move while Wayne put it together.  Tough work.

And the truss goes up.  Boy, this was an experience that I'm sure Wayne will talk about in detail.  Basically, things were not fitting as we expected.

By the time the rest of the trusses went up, we were all exhausted.  We had arrived shortly after 8am and left around 6:30p.  All day in the sun is quite draining.  So, we pulled a tarp over the top to protect it from rain and loaded everything we had left in side.

Before leaving, Bobby said he had a gift for us.  I can't remember the name (I'll add it after I check with Wayne), but basically it helps cut stray bales when building.  We're hopeful that it means Bobby & Silvia will be visiting us again to help with the honey shed that we're hoping to building in May.

So, we adjourned for the day.  Bobby, Silvia, and Wayne headed back up to Beech Mountain where the Parker clan was staying and I headed to the puppies and back to work.

Part II

Bobby, Silvia and Wayne headed back to Morganton on Thursday to finish up what was left.  I had to be at work so I wasn't available to take any pictures, but Wayne was kind enough to share these with me.

Here's the finished roof.

And applying the rolled roofing.  I'm glad I wasn't there for this part.  Anyone up that high makes me very nervous.

Looking good!

This was getting late again in day two and I think everyone was getting just a bit loopy.

Putting in the very last nail.  Whew!

And all done.

So, it did take the full two days as was promised to complete the shed from start to finish.  The good news is that Wayne now has a place to store all his lovely tools and doesn't have to drive around Charlotte with the scythe stashed in the back of his car.  I was just waiting for him to get pulled and try to explain why he had to have that lovely item with him at all times.

A great, big, huge thanks to Bobby and Silvia for spending a good portion of their vacation assisting us in the Great Shed Raising.  It literally would not have happened had they not been there.

Next up?  Prepping the land for the orchard and berry patch.  Then we'll being drawing up plans, investigating permitting, and collecting salvaged materials for the honey shed/temporary home.

Comments (1)

  • Sabre
    August 02, 2010

    Good work and nothing compares with the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourselves. I had no idea how tall it was until I saw the picture with Bob and Silvia standing in front of the finished product.

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published